Friday, March 14, 2008

The Latest and Greatest

As the oldest of seven kids, I've seen my fair share of diapers and bottles, but the world of baby products has changed a bit since I last changed a diaper. I've heard all about the Boppy and recently I've discovered it's advantages for myself. Even with bottle feeding, it's a pretty nice accessory. Dan's also discovered it's advantages recently. He says he's taking it with him the next time he has to fly on a plane.


Despite advances in technology, the bottles have become a bit more complicated. Like any first time parent, we were sucked into buying any type of bottle that promises to prevent colic. Which is why we bought the bottle seen in the following photo.

If you look closely, you'll notice that this bottle is nothing more than an open tube. Apparently the way this bottle prevents colic is by allowing air in the other end to help ease the liquid down the nipple while releasing any air bubbles. It does this through tiny holes in the bottom of the bottle. So while you're mixing the bottle, a round piece of plastic seals off those holes to prevent leaks. Then while feeding the baby, one should remove the piece of plastic, opening the holes to allow air in. And you're supposed to do this with your third hand because just as easily as air enters those holes, formula also leaves those holes each time we forget and put the bottle down, without replacing the piece of plastic. So I figured taking the bottom off entirely would help me remember that there is a hole in the bottle. It didn't and we christened the car seat with formula.

1 comment:

CLAMES said...

I can't help but laugh at the way so looks in her pink outfit! She is sooo cute and small!