Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Too Much Tummy Time

Back when I was working with Anna daily to get her to spend time on her tummy, the PT told me that at some point Anna would love being on her tummy. I don't think I truly understood what she meant.

She does enjoy being on her tummy now, but more than that, she insists on being on her tummy, even when I'm trying to dress her or change her diaper. Being the oldest child of seven, I remember fighting with my siblings as I tried to dress then for my mom. I'm sure I didn't do this, but in the back of my mind I have this image of holding my baby sister down with my knee. I'm thinking the knee image is my mind's way of representing the struggle that it was to dress my sister.

It's different with my own baby though because I actually feel guilty for trying to hold her down. Because I'm still changing her diaper on the changing table, diaper time turns into an all out fight as she tries to roll away and I try to keep her bottom-side down so that I can change the diaper and she doesn't fall off. Changing her on the floor is even harder, but I suppose that the consequences are less extreme if she gets away. I know that any day now she's going to crawl away with poop hanging off her bottom, but so far she's not crawling yet.

Lately she's also really resisting the car seat, which I know is normal, and I can even empathize. What I don't get is the way she fights the high chair. She loves to eat crackers, bananas, apples, noodles, cheese, anything I give her. She loves picking the food up and stuffing it in her mouth until her mouth is so full she can hardly chew. Then she opens her mouth and lets half of it fall out. Yummy. And I only give food to her while she's sitting in her high chair or occasionally when she's screaming in her car seat. But whenever I try to put her in her high chair, her legs and back go stiff, and she refuses to sit down. Maybe the upside is that she's no longer biting her spoon.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I'd plop her in a Bumbo. :)

Timid Tripper said...

I forgot about the Bumbo. We use it when I do her hair, but then she doesn't like it either. Often she straightens her back and tries to push out of it. Maybe she just doesn't like chairs because she's happy to sit on her own, but if I put her in any other chair, she wiggles and stretches, trying to get out.

Cami said...

Man, I empathize. My little Janey will NOT lie still for diaper changes. I, however, do NOT feel guilty for holding her down. Maybe it's my 6 other years of diaper-changing experience that has hardened me.

Enjoy the no-crawl time. Enjoy.