Recently, I've frequently been asked two questions : Are you getting any sleep? and How is the transition from working full time to being home full time going?
I admit that I was a little worried myself about that transition. Of course I was dying to be a stay-at-home mom, but I wondered if it would be hard to go from working sixty hours a week outside of the home to staying home all the time. I wondered if I'd be bored. Now that I've been home with Anna for nearly a month now, I can say with some certainty that I don't miss my job at all. But then last night I dreamed that I was back in my classroom and I'd lost the ability to get control of my class. One more reason I don't miss my job. I'm not bored at all, although I do occasionally get fidgety, and I've learned that while some things make me feel like a lazy slob, others help me pass the time. For example, unless it's after midnight, watching Oprah makes me feel like a slob, but watching episodes of Alias all day doesn't. Just another one of my idiosyncrasies I guess.
In fact in some ways I'm having a harder time with the identity aspect of all of this. I have spent so much time and energy defining myself as someone who doesn't have kids that it feels really weird to say that I have a child or I'm a mom. I'm more comfortable saying that I have a baby (again, another part of my weirdness). It feels a lot like when I turned thirty and I would sometimes forget, when people asked me how old I was that I wasn't in my twenties anymore.
I've also noticed that women at Church seem to have an easier time talking to me. Now that could be because a week before we brought Anna home, I was called to be in the Relief Society presidency, making me more visible. But most people talk to me about my baby. I get the feeling that it wasn't that they didn't want to talk to me before, but they just didn't know how. That bothers me a little bit. It makes me appreciate all my friends with children even more because all y'all figured out how to include me even though I didn't have children. Perhaps I should teach a mini-lesson in Relief Society on the simple phrase "Tell me about yourself." I've found that it can wonderfully bridge perceived gaps.
The biggest shock for Dan and me has been the realization that there's a lot of criticism we need to take back. I mean, we didn't spend lots of time criticizing people with kids, but more than once we both wondered how hard is it really to have kids? So, now we know that it is hard and we take back every negative or judgmental thing we ever said. Well, maybe not everything. I'm still pretty certain that I'm not going to feed Anna sandwiches during sacrament meeting, but then again who knows.
As for whether I'm getting enough sleep, the answer is probably no. And this is the hardest thing for me. I do my best to take naps during the day, but I always feel a bit chastised when people tell me I need to sleep when she does. Because seriously, how many moms actually took a nap every single time their first baby did? I know that once child number 2 and number 3 show up, most moms probably wish they had taken more naps, but occasionally I do need to wash bottles so that I can feed her and nap time is the best time to shower. But I was foolish enough to think that sleeping while she did would be easy and that this sleep schedule would only last for the first week or so. I also figured that my biggest obstacle to exercising would be finding a way to do it with Anna, not my own exhaustion. So please tell me that I'm not crazy for not lying down every time I put Anna down. And on that note, I think I'll go try to get in a nap before she wakes up.
Tuesday, April 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I've never been a napper and when Marcus came along that didn't change. I remember the first week he was home and my mom would INSIST that I go rest. Most often I wasn't able to sleep, but it was nice to just relax. I found that what worked for us a lot of the time was watching movies or documentaries on the couch with Marcus in my arms or sleeping nearby. As you know, before Marcus came along I was busy busy busy with school and working and Relief Society. It was just sort of weird to let that go when Marcus came along and be okay with not doing all this outside stuff.
Outside life will get busy again (it probably already is with your new calling), but it is nice to just create this little cave for the first few months and just get to know one another as a family with weird sleep schedules and everything.
One more quick thought to illustrate (hopefully) what I mean: Before Marcus came and before I was even pregnant I remember taking a dinner to a girl in my ward who had just had a baby. Her husband had also just had knee surgery. It sounds like a lot, but I remember this sense of peace and snuggly family when I walked in and left that dinner with them. They were all spread out in their family room with some movie on and it just felt so warm and low key and nice. I'm not really sure if this even fits with your topic or question anymore but there you go all the same :)
Ok, I am falling so in love with Anna. She is so sweet. And everything you say about her is just so darling. I can tell how much you are loving being her mom. Just think it won't be long until you are feeding her cheese sandwhiches during the high councilmens talk. Just kidding!
BTW I will be in Utah next week I would love to see you and sweet Anna, I have something for her I would love to give to her in person. If you are up for visitors?
katie, thanks for validating me and thanks for laughing at me when i said i felt guilty for watching movies and not talking to anna more. it helped me lighten up. :)
Yes, don't worry about sleeping EACH time. You need some you time too for sure. And it's true, baby's are an easy conversation starter--the rest of the stuff is pretty hard. It's lame, but that's how it is.
Also, we are not allowed to have food in our church, not even Cheerios. Guess who used to break that rule . . .
Your future is probably full of things you swore you'd never do! When Michael was born I took a lot of naps because I could, and because I didn't really have many friends, or places to be. Sad but true. The result was that I developed serious insomnia. Michael and I both had a hard time figuring out when we were supposed to sleep! When Ty came around I just didn't have the luxury of taking naps so much, and I actually slept much better at night. Now that I have three, I pretty much just pass out anytime the house is quiet for more than a few minutes!
BTW, I think maybe you need to pass on Alias when you're done with it!
Post a Comment