Monday, October 4, 2010

Highlights of My Day

I started the day off feeling like a not-so-great mom. I found a nugget of poop in the washer after the cycle had run--evidence that potty training isn't going well at all and that I am not so great at cleaning out soiled panties before they go in the washer.

Evie, who is now a master crawler, crawled out the garage door and rolled down the stairs. Anna tried to warn me but I couldn't move fast enough and ended up comforting two crying kids on the garage steps. I guess Anna does love her sister even if she expresses her frustration by hitting her. The fall didn't seem to leave any marks on Evie, but she's been a bit more clingy today. That might also be because of teething.

We had a picnic with our friends Melissa and Avery down by Bridal Veil Falls this morning. The rain stopped long enough for us to stroll up the path and eat lunch. Then as we were finishing up, the sky turned dark and the wind picked up, giving us just enough warning that we almost made it back to our cars before large rain drops began to fall. Fall is coming.

For the second day in a row, Anna refused to take her nap and woke Evie up by screaming. It's Anna's new favorite trick, to yell "aaahhh!" Last night she decided to do it all the way home from my parents' house and poor Evie started crying every time Anna yelled. I'm nervous that this decision not to nap is becoming a new lifestyle choice. I'm not ready for a toddler that doesn't nap.

After her "nap" Anna came to me with a booger--she often has her finger up her nose, but she's great about handing off her treasures to me rather than making them a snack--and then she decided to put it back in her nose. 

While I tried to finish cleaning the bathroom, Anna worked hard to keep Evie happy. Sometimes she was a little rough, but she had good intentions. Evie was just too cranky to be much fun. Anna also turned an empty diaper box into a slide, which kept all of us happy for awhile.

With the bathrooms cleaned and the laundry going, Anna and I sat down to enjoy some kettle corn. We practiced counting, and I decided again that staying home with my kids really is the best job I've ever had. 

1 comment:

Heather said...

So sad yet so hilarious!