Friday, September 23, 2011

Ho-kay


One of my favorite things to hear Evie say is okay. I just love the way she says it, like ho-kay. I also think it’s cute how she usually says “yup” instead of “yes.” Even her “nope” is cute, although I don’t like her “no” as much. She likes to drag it out into a moan that sounds like a cat in heat.

We’ve noticed recently that Evie seems to be pretty understanding when we explain stuff to her. As long as we tell her what’s going on, she seems to do ok. The other day both Anna and Evie asked for gum. I like them to chew it outside so that it’s less likely to end up in their hair or on their clothes or in my carpet. I told them they could have some when they got to the park, but Anna wanted to hold her piece until we got there. I’m sure to Evie it looked like she was getting short changed on the gum situation, and she kept saying, “want gum.” Each time I told her, “you can have some gum as soon as we get to the park, okay?” And each time she’d respond with a sweet little, “hokay.” She asked several times on our way to the park, but she never threw a fit.

Of course it doesn’t always work and I’m not always good at explaining things to her. She never really likes the idea that it’s Anna’s turn with a toy. Yesterday we went to go pick up Lauren from her horseback riding class. I wanted to get there a little early because I know that Evie loves horses--she says “Ssss!” as loud as she can whenever she sees a horse—but as usual we were running late, so we only had time to look at the horses for a few minutes before it was time to get back in the car. Evie threw a pretty big fit when I tried to put her back in her car seat, but looking back, I don’t think I did much to help her understand why we had to go. I’m not sure she would have cared that we needed to get home to eat dinner, but maybe next time I’ll try her.

No comments: