Friday, October 7, 2011

Our Garden

I planted a garden in raised beds again this year. This was the first summer I got started early enough to plant peas. I also planted squash, dill (to try and ward off the squash bugs--it didn't entirely work), tomatoes, broccoli, bush beans, carrots, lettuce, basil, green peppers, and marigolds. 

Our strawberries are continuing to grow, but the birds started to get them. I had some left over wire mesh, so I put that on top and it took care of the birds, but didn't stop Evie. She would dive under the mesh every time we went out in the backyard and since she doesn't really know her colors, she ate plenty of green strawberries.


Sweet success!

It looks like Anna got Evie with the hose. At first the kids didn't like it when I sprayed them, but by the end of the summer I couldn't stop them from turning on the hose.
They also love playing in the dirt. Some day I will plant something in these beds so that I won't have to deal with dirty, muddy girls. I guess we had been riding bikes and thats why they had their helmets on. They love their bike helmets.
Poor Evie: her helmet is a little too big.

One of our giant zucchinis. Despite my dill plants, I still ended up with squash bugs. I never found the eggs on the bottom of the leaves, but they managed to limit my zucchini production. I'm not sure we could eat all the zucchini a healthy plant could produce, but the bugs are gross and I'm tired of them destroying my plants.

1 comment:

Elder Richey said...

Your garden looks great. I just wanted to say that I loved the Temple Tuesdays idea you posted about earlier--so great! We just took our boys to the Idaho Falls Temple and now they can't stop talking about the "waterfall temple." You are such a great mom and I'm glad I get to watch you in action via your blog :)