Sunday, August 5, 2012

Races

This spring, I signed up for my first marathon, the Utah Valley Marathon (June 9), and in April I ran two half marathons. Last year was the first time I ran more than one half marathon in a year, so two in two weeks felt a little crazy. My girls are starting to get used to packet pick ups and looking for mom at the end of the race. 

My first half marathon was the Salt Lake City half and packet pick up was at the Gateway mall. It was a longer drive than I usually subject my girls to, so after waiting in line and verifying that the KT tape people were not there, I let them play in the fountain outside.

 Anna loved getting wet, but Evie wasn't so sure. At one point, I looked up to see her crying and I think a squirt of water had hit her in the bottom and surprised her. She was back out there running around soon after, but she did her best to avoid contact with the water.


Knowing that I was running a half the very next Saturday, I tried to run this one at a more comfortable pace. Dawn, one of my running buddies, ran it with me and I think I talked her ears off. There is something about a race that almost makes me giddy with excitement. The race took us right by J.E. Cosgriff Memorial Catholic School where I used to teach and I even saw some parents of one of my former students in the crowd. It felt like a trip down memory lane. Our husbands drove up together with the kids to meet us at the end. Part of the fun of running a race is seeing what Dan dressed the girls in. Most of the time I don't think he even combs their hair, so the hair styles are usually a bit interesting too.

 squished into our car, as we drive over to pick up Dawn's car

The day before, on our way home from packet pick up, I had promised Anna that we could stop at Beyond Glaze on our way home to get a donut. After carbo loading the day before, a donut didn't sound that great anymore, but Anna has a good memory and we used the promise of a donut to lure her away from the bounce houses and the other exciting stuff there at the end of the race.

I was in serious need of some protein after the race, but my only choice at the donut shop was a maple bacon donut. I have to say that it was amazing! I'd go back anytime for that one.

The next Saturday I ran the Thanksgiving Point half with my other running buddy, Kerstin. I hoped to run this one a bit faster and we did, but that was a much harder race due to all the ups and downs along the golf course. I wish I had run that one easy and just enjoyed the flowers and tulips for the tulip festival, but I still had a good time (even if I don't have any pictures to prove I was there).

No comments: