Last night around nine Anna started crying. We had just put her to bed a little after eight, so I figured she was just trying to get attention. It had been rough getting her to go to sleep and she pulled out every trick she knows to try and buy herself a little more time. There was something about her cry that convinced me to go check on her and when I got in there she was pretty distraught. I thought that maybe she wasn't feeling well or she was working on cutting her two-year molars, so I brought her out to the kitchen to get some medicine. She perked right up once she got out to the kitchen, leading us to believe that she was playing us for fools. But at one point, she walked back to her bedroom and when she got close to her open door, she freaked out and started crying again. When Dan tried to take her back to bed, it was the same frantic crying and he had to bring her out of her room to calm her down. Finally, we turned her lamp on before taking her into her room and then I went and lay down with her in her bed. After singing some songs to her, I asked her what made her so sad. She said, "Caillou hurt."
Anna loves watching Caillou and thanks to her slacker mom and Netflix's Watch Instantly feature, she watches a lot of Caillou. In one of the episodes, Caillou falls and scrapes both his knees and for some reason this is really traumatizing to Anna. She often comes running to me whenever she's watching this episode and wants me to hold her. So last night, I spent about twenty minutes having the following conversation multiple times:
Anna: Caillou hurt.
Me: But his mom put Band-Aids on his knees and he was okay.
Anna: And Rosie (Caillou's little sister).
Me: Who is your little sister?
Anna: Evie. Caillou hurt.
Tonight when I put her to bed, I got her to lie down, we sang a song, and then Anna said, "Calliou hurt. Mom Band-Aids. Rosie." I think she's making some progress at getting over this trauma. If I had only known how rough this would be on her, I never would have let her watch the show.
No comments:
Post a Comment