I have been wanting to make gingerbread houses for the past few years, so when Cami invited us over a few days before Christmas (Dec. 22) to make some, I was stoked. (Does anyone even use that word anymore? Still I was excited.) Since it was only a few days before Christmas, we kept it pretty simple, sticking to graham crackers, but even so, without Cami's expertise, we would have had gingerbread piles. Cami did most of the actual constructing. Anna and Evie mostly wanted to eat the frosting and the candy, so I admit that I did a lot of the decorating on Evie's house, and I helped with Anna's house. She didn't have much of a design going, but she did a great job covering the graham crackers with candy.
As per our new tradition (i.e., I started it last year), we made sugar cookies on Christmas Eve. If I remember right, we ended up speed decorating the cookies since we finished baking them not too long before we needed to head to my parents' house for Christmas Eve dinner.
In addition to green and red frosting, we also used some of the leftovers from our gingerbread decorations. Anna followed the same decorating philosophy that she used with her gingerbread house: more is better. Since my kids never really make it past the frosting to eat the actual cookie, this seems to work well for them, but for Dan and I, these cookies send us into diabetic shock.










No comments:
Post a Comment